Sunday, April 15, 2012

Greeeeeeen Acres is the Place for Me

Well, I've decided to embrace the country girl in me and settle into small town living - which for me means gardening.  I've been working with a local organization to start a community garden in our city park, and we're finally up and running!  I've written a couple of grants for us which has gotten us over $6000 in funds we plan to put toward building a pergola, getting some equipment, and a shed to store it in.

Today Chris and I went out and planted my little 10'x10' plot and I'm pretty happy with how it went.  I know NOTHING about gardening, so I sort of just made it up as I went.


It's sort of hard to tell with this picture, but we used stake and twine to lay out some rows so we'd know what is supposed to be growing where.  Here's a better picture of the stakes:


Then once we laid those out, I just put a different vegetable in each row and tried to follow the directions on the seed packets.  I have beans, carrots, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, and peas.  I made a little map so I'll know what's coming up where.


Once we finished up with our garden, we came back home and I planted some marigolds in some planters to flank our garage.


And now...my fingernails are super dirty and I'm really tired.  But I've had chicken in the slower cooker all day for some shredded chicken tacos and I think it's about that time!

No comments:

Post a Comment